|Our Lodge Banner|
The name Sparkenhoe seems certain to derive from Scandinavian words meaning “Hill with the Brushwood”, from the period the Danish invaders conquered the Saxons. Documentary evidence for the name dates back to 1300. At that date it was the name given to a new “Hundred”, an administrative area, established in the County of Leicester. The main function of the “Hundred” was to hold court at some readily identifiable landmark, and within the area of the Sparkenhoe “Hundred” the most obvious landmark would be the hill now known as Croft Hill. Sparkenhoe, the hill with the brushwood, would therefore, be the name given to the hill by the Danish invaders of this part of England.
The Maltese Cross, taken from the badge of the Knights of Malta Lodge No. 50, being the Mother Lodge, illustrates the source by which the Sparkenhoe Lodge originates.
The red and white serrated arms dates from the 13th century and represents the banner borne in honour of the Barony of Hinckley by the Simons de Montfort, Earls of Leicester, Father and Son; and indicates that the Lodge originates and meets at Hinckley.
There is also a further allusion in our motto to the fact that the Sparkenhoe Lodge uses the same Temple as it’s Mother Lodge, and therefore meets by, or “through the source and origin”.