Freemasonry has strong roots in Hinckley going back at least as far as 1803, and up until 1966 the only Lodge meeting in the town had been the Knights of Malta No. 50; the second oldest in the Province, one of the “Atholl Lodges”, established by a handful of artisans in what was at that time a small Leicestershire market-town of a few thousand inhabitants. Whilst No. 50 received it’s Warrant under the “Antients” Grand Lodge in 1803, local tradition has it that Freemasonry had been practiced in the town long before then.
With the progressive growth and prosperity of Hinckley, the opportunity for a new ‘Daughter’ Lodge to be established presented itself, when by the early 1960s, due to the long waiting list to get into No. 50, pressure was applied by the then Provincial Grand Master R.W.Bro. Brigadier C. B. S. Morley, to establish an additional Lodge in the town. Consequently a Foundation Committee formed from six of the senior Brethren from the ‘Mother’ Lodge No. 50 was established during early 1965, and it was subsequently approved in open lodge that No. 50 would sponsor the new lodge, which resulted in twenty three Brethren agreeing to become it’s Founders; comprising eleven Brethren from No. 50 plus twelve other Masons who were working or residing in the Hinckley area.
A Petition was submitted to Grand Lodge and a Warrant for the formation of a new Lodge at Hinckley in the Province of Leicestershire & Rutland to be known as Sparkenhoe Lodge numbered 8063 was received dated 10th November 1965, with W.Bro. Alan Pickering named as the Master Designate. The Lodge would meet at the Masonic Hall in Hinckley.
The Consecration and Installation Ceremonies took place at the Masonic Hall Hinckley on 22nd February 1966, with the Provincial Grand Master officiating, with the Officers from Provincial Grand Lodge.
Since then Sparkenhoe has maintained a stable membership of around fifty, sustained by a steady stream of candidates wishing to join.
The Lodge celebrated it’s 40th anniversary in February 2006 in the presence of it’s surviving Founder, W.Bro. Allison Gibson-Leitch, and the Lodge is looking forward to celebrating it’s 50th anniversary in 2016.